|Elevation||4,365 ft (1,330 m)|
|Population||74,642 (Ranked 9th)|
|City of Shepton|
Coat of Arms of Shepton, Centralia
|Type||City by Royal Charter|
|Incorporated||20 March 1876|
|Navigation and map|
List of settlements in Guelphia|
List of places in Guelphia by population
Municipalities · Parishes
Shepton is a city and market centre located in central Guelphia. As of the 2010 census, Shepton had 74,642 inhabitants, making it the 9th largest city in Guelphia. A major rural service hub and former county centre, Shepton served as the seat of the Middle Riding of Centralia until 1907, and has been a municipal borough (and later city) since 1876.
The name of Shepton is drawn from traditional Anglo-Saxon toponomy. The prefix shep refers to the domestic sheep (ovis aries), and an important animal in agriculture for thousands of years. The suffix of ton was used to describe an enclosed place, and forms the basis of the modern word town. Therefore, Shepton can be seen to literally mean sheep-town.