|County||Isle of Lunenburg|
|Elevation||39 ft (12 m)|
|Population||112,766 (Ranked 4th)|
|City of Lunenborough|
Coat of Arms of Lunenborough
|Type||City by Royal Charter|
|Incorporated||1 May 1856|
Lunenborough Town Hall|
1 Bligh Street
|Navigation and map|
List of settlements in Guelphia|
List of places in Guelphia by population
Municipalities · Parishes
Lunenborough is the principal city of the Isle of Lunenburg, the second island of the Guelphian archipelago. As of 2010, the city has a population of 112,766, and is part of a wider urban area of 132,000, making it the fourth largest urban area in the country.
Lunenborough is an anglicisation of Lüneburg, an ancient city in northern Germany with connexions to the Hanseatic League. When James Cook sailed past the island in 1773, he named it and the larger Brunswick Island after the Duchy of Brunswick-Lunenburg (German: Herzogtum Braunschweig-Lüneburg) which at the time was a possession of the House of Hanover, the royal family in Great Britain. Lunenburg was the typical rendering of the name in the eighteenth century, as English lacks the umlaut diacritic (¨) above it's vowels.
However, when the city was founded in 1843, the settlers of the town decided that -burg suffix should be replaced by the more English sounding -borough.
The origins of the city can be traced to 1843, when the Government of Guelphia ordered survey of lands on the island for close settlement. Prior to this, settlement on the island has been restricted to a few sealing settlements and Guelphia Company outposts to monitor the native Ngati Mōri and aid in the capture of any escaped convict labourers.
References and notes
- By Letters Patent issued by the King on 2 December 1907, Lunenborough is entitled to the status and privilege of the title of city.