Demographics of Guelphia

From Guelphia
Jump to: navigation, search

According to the 2010 census, the total population of Guelphia stands at 3,314,142. It is the fourth-largest in Oceania (behind Australia, Papua New Guinea, and New Zealand) and the 155th-largest in the world. Its overall population density is amongst the lowest in the world at 54.46 inhabitants per square mile (21.03/km2). Most of the Guelphian population descends from immigrants who came from England and Wales between 1836 and 1945. At the end of the Second World War, the population of Guelphia was just over 1,486,000. Over the last 72 years, that population has increased by 1.9 million, with the growth resulting from the combination of a strategic immigration scheme and a solid birth rate with families having two or three children. The rate of population growth has declined somewhat since the 1970s, but remains positive.

Whilst the vast majority of immigrants have been of English origin, there are now established communities from elsewhere in Europe, as well as Asia and Africa. These communities can mostly be found in Kingsbury, Corfe Harbour and Port Frederick. Minority ethnic groups number less than 8% of the total population, but they have already left their mark on Guelphia's society and culture.

Population and ancestry

Guelphian ancestry
Ancestry Percent
England
  
84%
Wales
  
6%
Ngati Mōri
  
2%
Other British Isles
  
2%

Guelphia is overwhelmingly English in language and ethnicity. 90% of Guelphians can trace ancestry of two or more grandparents back to England and Wales. Of the remaining 10% are from the rest of the world, whilst 2% of can trace ancestry back to before European settlement in 1836.

Typical of many western nations, there a slightly more women than men. Improved living and health standards have evened the score somewhat, and in 2010 the population consisted of 1,340,363 women (50.005%) and 1,340,095 men (49.995%).

Religion

Further information: Religion in Guelphia

Guelphia is renowned as being something of a religious nation, and while Guelphians are varied in their own belief systems, most have a strong attachment to their denomination, with attendances amongst the highest for any western nation. Christians number 2,916,445 adherents or about 88% of the national population, making it the dominant religion in New England. Just over 7% of Guelphians are either Buddhist, Hindu, Jewish, Muslim, or Sikh. 4.71%, profess to no faith at all.

Freedom of religion is an implied right in Guelphia, as long as it is not likely to cause conflict with the law or injury to another person or group.

Statistical summary

  • Population: 3,314,142 (2010)
  • Age structure:
    • 0-15 years: 22%
    • 16-64 years: 62%
    • 65 years and over: 16%
  • Population growth rate: 7.6% (2005-2010)
  • Birth rate: 9.85 births/1,000 population (2010)
  • Death rate: 3.25 deaths/1,000 population (2010)
  • Net migration rate: 2.1 migrant(s)/1,000 population (2010)

References and notes