Brunswick Island

From Guelphia
Jump to: navigation, search

Brunswick Island is the largest and most densely populated island of the Guelphian archipelago.

Toponomy

The island draws it's name from the German city of Braunschweig, which when rendered in to English becomes Brunswick. Brunswick is place name common across the English-speaking world, and owes it's ubiquity to the German House of Hanover, which ruled in Great Britain at the time of the islands discovery by Europeans, and whose possessions in Germany included Braunschweig. The island was named by British explorer James Cook when he landed in the archipelago in July 1773.

References and notes

Other links