Map of Beaufortshire
|Established||14 November 1836|
1,968.51 sq mi (5,098.4 km2)
Mount Major |
- 5,045 ft (1,538 m)
|Population (2015)||280,875 (Ranked 6th)|
|Population density||142.68/sq mi (55.09/km2)|
4.0% Ngati Mōri
|Beaufortshire County Council|
Coat of Arms of Beaufortshire
|Chairman||NAT)Tristan Brasher (|
Local authorities of Guelphia|
Counties · Municipalities · Parishes
The name of the county is drawn from the English Dukes of Beaufort. The name Beaufort refers to one of several settlements in France. They in turn are thought to mean 'fine-looking fort' from beau 'beautiful'.
Politics and administration
Beaufortshire County Council
The county council for Beaufortshire was established in 1886, having been first gazetted in 1836. The County Councils were first introduced as a result of the Local Government Act, taking over the administrative functions that had until that time been carried out by the unelected Courts of General and Quarter Sessions.
The county is divided in to six municipalities, as outlined below:
References and notes
- The eight counties of Guelphia were established by way of an Order-in-Council on the 7 November 1836 and formally came into existence seven days later.
- Everett-Heath, John, ed. (2014). The Concise Dictionary of World Place-Names (3rd ed.). Oxford University Press.
- Local Government Act (Public Act No. 80 of 1885).