St. Bede's Church, Bardsley
|Municipality||Layton Rural District|
|Elevation||123 ft (37 m)|
|Population||1,071 (Ranked 172nd)|
|Bardsley Parish Council|
Coat of Arms of Bardsley, Beaufortshire
|Incorporated||1 October 1984|
Philip I Coronation Hall|
8 High Street
|Navigation and map|
List of settlements in Guelphia|
List of places in Guelphia by population
Municipalities · Parishes
Bardsley is named for Sir Charles Bardsley, a subscriber of the Guelphia Company and foundation member of the Guelphian Senate. Bardsley's 500 acres (200 ha) worth of land holdings were granted to him in locations predominately in and around the town of Williamsdene. Upon his sudden death in July 1838, the Surveyor-General, Henry Williams, decided to name the newly surveyed parish east of the city in honour of Bardsley.
GeographyWaikaha valley, some 11 miles (18 km) from Williamsdene.
The temperature and precipitation measured in the parish is typical of a humid subtropical climate. On the Köppen climate classification system, Bardsley is ranked as a having a Cfa climate.
The average rainfall for the parish is recorded as being 56 1⁄2 inches (1,440 mm) per year.
Land use and ownership
Bardsley covers an area of 49,223 acres (19,920 ha; 76.911 sq mi). Under the provisions of the Lands (Church and Glebe Properties Vesting) Ordinance, approximately 7% or 3,054 acres (1,236 ha; 4.772 sq mi) of the parish is owned by the vestry for the maintenance and upkeep of church properties within the parish, and where permissible, for other measures as well.
Within the parish can be found a further four settlements, all of which have a population of less than 100 people, and are therefore classified as hamlets.
- Blackland (population 53)
- Lower Waimoa (population 74)
- Levendale (population 79)
- Steersmead (population 54)
According to the Statistics Agency, there:
- were 1,071 people on the night of the last census (4 August 2015), making Bardsley the 172nd largest settlement in Guelphia;
- the population of the village was equal to less than 0.032% of the national population of 3,314,142.
Most of the 500 or so working age inhabitants of the parish commute the 11 miles (18 km) in to work in nearby Williamsdene each day, making Bardsley something of dormitory suburb. The local economy of Bardsley has always depended on the rural sector, with some 90 people still employed in these industries. The chief agricultural earner has always been dairying; with milk and milk products being the chief commodity coming off local farms to the United Dairies factory in Williamsdene. In the drier areas of the parish, beef cattle predominate, and supply the meatworks located in the nearby parish of Bawden. Smaller industries include forestry, with native timbers harvested from various locations around the parish. There is also a small quarrying industry, with gravel and sand being mined for construction and industry.
The other major employer in Bardsley is the tertiary sector of the economy, which services the village and nearby rural surrounds. Within the village itself there is a church (St Bede's), a public house (The Old Dairy), a post office, a general store, a mechanic, a county police station, and a primary school. All in all, these businesses and services employ some 65-70 people as of the last census.
References and notes
- Lands (Church and Glebe Properties Vesting) Ordinance (Ordinance No. 19 of 1838).