Map of Albanyshire
|Established||14 November 1836|
1,296.46 sq mi (3,357.8 km2)
|Largest city||Port Frederick (190,140)|
|Population (2015)||531,525 (Ranked 2nd)|
|Population density||409.98/sq mi (158.29/km2)|
|Albanyshire County Council|
Coat of Arms of Albanyshire
|Chairman||Odelia Winston (Dem)|
Local authorities of Guelphia|
Counties · Municipalities · Parishes
The toponomy of Albanyshire is drawn from Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany (1763 – 1827), the second son of George III and the late brother of William IV, who was the British sovereign at the time Guelphia was settled in the 1830s. The title is in turn derived from ancient Scottish ducal title of Albany, which is an ancient poetic name of Gaelic origin for the northern part of Britain.
Cities and towns
The largest city in Albanyshire is Port Frederick, with a population of just over 190,000. Other major towns in the county are Pasquale, Regentsmere, Deauville, Ossulstone, and Port Waihou. The county also includes the smaller towns of Tobinvale, Mussulman Head, Frederickton, Maridale, Huntington, and Paroriwirou.
|Cities and towns of Albanyshire by population|
Politics and administration
Albanyshire County Council
The county council for Albanyshire was established in 1886, having been first gazetted in 1836. The County Councils were first introduced as a result of the Local Government Act, taking over the administrative functions that had until that time been carried out by the unelected Courts of General and Quarter Sessions.
The county is divided in to 15 municipalities, as outlined below:
References and notes
- The eight counties of Guelphia were established by way of an Order-in-Council on the 7 November 1836 and formally came into existence seven days later.
- Holmes, Richard; Singleton, Charles; Jones, Spencer, eds. (2001). The Oxford Companion to Military History. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780198606963.
- Birch, Dinah, ed. (2009). The Oxford Companion to English Literature (7th ed.). Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780192806871.
- Local Government Act (Public Act No. 80 of 1885).